Characterization and performance tests for anticorrosive organic coatings (paints and varnishes)
Paint characterization and performance tests, both in liquid and dry film forms, are important tools for quality control in industrial painting, as well as for the selection and development of new paint compositions and schemes.
|Corrosion and Protection Laboratory's facilities|
The Laboratory for Corrosion and Protection of IPT performs testing and analysis on paints in order to characterize them and verify their performance against corrosion in aggressive environments. In addition to a wide range of standard tests, the laboratory also develops tests according to customer needs, based on its own specifications or on national and international Standards.
Among the tests developed in the Laboratory, it is worth emphasizing the test and equipment developed for Petrobras to evaluate both the resistance to fatigue and to corrosion of organic coatings in aggressive environments. This test is intended to evaluate coatings of tankers, used for transportation of oil, subjected to stress resulting from movement of the liquid, high temperature and CO2.
Among the most common tests in liquid paints and dry films can be cited:
- Adhesion by Pull-off Test
- Adhesion by Tape Test
- Cathodic Disbonding
- Color Differences of Diffusely-Illuminated Opaque Materials
- Color Tolerances and Color Differences from Instrumentally Measured Color Coordinates
- Cyclic Accelerated Corrosion Test
- Hardness by Pencil Test
- Hardness by Pendulum Damping test.
- Flexibility Test: Conical or Cylindrical Mandrel Flexibility Determination
- Holiday detector
- Household Chemical resistance on Clear and Pigmented Organic Finishes.
- Humidity Test (100 %)
- Impact - Resistance of Organic Coatings to the Effect of Rapid Deformation (Impact)
- Kesternich Test (humid sulfur dioxide test)
- Sag test
- Salt Spray - Prohesion Cycle
- Salt Spray (Fog) Test
- Specular Gloss of Nonmetallic Paint Films
- Thickness - Measurement by Magnetic Method
- Thicknesses - Measurement by Eddy Current Method
- UV Exposure Test
- Water Resistance Immersion Test
- Nonvolatile (per mass)
- Pot Life
- Specific mass
- Touch Time, Cure Time
- Viscosity (Brookfield type; Ford Cup, Stormer)
Tel.: 55 (11) 3767-4044